Chanel Wine With Karl Lagerfeld Label Goes Perfectly With His Orrefors Wine Glasses.
above: Wine label and Wine glasses designed by Karl Lagerfeld of Chanel.
Back in October, fashion and wine blogs were sharing the news that Chanel Creative Director Karl Lagerfeld was illustrating a wine label, expanding his already enormous repertoire as a legendary fashion guru, film director, photographer, product designer and more. As a matter of fact, he recently designed a selection of glassware for Orrefors, which includes... you guessed it, wine glasses.
above image of Karl Lagerfeld courtesy of Celotto/Getty
Karl Lagerfeld for Château Rauzan-Ségla
The winery, Château Rauzan-Ségla, whose exterior was the subject of Karl's illustration for the label, was founded in 1661 by Pierre de Rauzan and was acquired by CHANEL in 1994.
above: Château Rauzan-Ségla, situated in the heart of the Margaux appellation
On its 350th Anniversary and to celebrate the exceptional quality of the 2009 vintage Château Rauzan-Ségla is proud to announce a very special – one time only – collaboration with Karl Lagerfeld. To honor these two milestones (the anniversary and exceptional vintage), Lagerfeld has brought his iconic drawing style to the label with a rendering of the Château Rauzan-Ségla.
Tasting Notes and Ratings for 2009 Rauzan-Ségla, Margaux:
• 94-96 points Wine Enthusiast: "Big tannins here, very dry, but the fruit seems rich enough to support it. It is finely structured, very dense, made for the long haul."
• 93-96 points Wine Spectator: "Shows a lovely concentration of currant and blackberry. Hints of vanilla follow through to a full body, with layers of ripe and pretty fruit to this. Very fruit-forward..."
• 92-95 points Robert Parker: "...This large estate appears to have produced their greatest wine since the 1986. The alcohols came in at 13.9%, and the wine reveals extraordinary density, power, and richness as well as explosive fruit, and terrific acidity, intensity, and power. Yet it tastes like a crisp, delicate Margaux. Yields were 40 hectoliters per hectare. This outstanding 2009 should age nicely for 35-40+ years."
• 90-93 points Tanzer's IWC: "Ruby red. Perfumed aromas of currant, spices and flowers show an intriguing candied quality. Light and lively on the palate, with suave, peppery dark berry and mineral flavors lifted by a spicy element on the back. Finishes long and pure, with noteworthy inner-mouth energy and fragrance. This wine's very polished tannins make it deceptively delicious to taste today, like so many 2009s.
• 94-96 points - Wine Cellar Insider: The 2009 Rauzan Segla is deep ruby. The perfume offers jammy blackberry, fudge, fennel, earth, spice, and floral notes. Full bodied with a rich texture, round tannins, and structure to age, this sublime wine ends with long, pure sensations of sweet berries.
This special edition Château Rauzan-Ségla Margaux 2009 wine is being distributed by Harvey Nichols for £160. Buy it here
Karl Lagerfeld for Orrefors.
Creator, photographer, designer and editor Karl Lagerfeld likes nothing more than expanding his modes of expression. And what better way to do that than to present his first line of crystal products with Orrefors. With an insatiable curiosity, always in search of new creative experiences, this multifaceted artist has had an uncommonly rich career, during which he has developed a perfectly chiseled graphic identity. And now the clean lines and streamlined design of that universe grace this inimitable collection of glasses, bowls and vases.
In transparent, black or milky white crystal, the series unites the strict lines and contemporary elegance of Karl Lagerfeld with the exacting quality and expertise that has characterized Orrefors for over a century.
See the full collection here
The images, text and information by laura sweet on this site are licensed and protected under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. If you reproduce or re-purpose, be sure to credit this blog and link back to the post. Thanks.