Time Wrapped Around Your Finger. The Ring Clock Becomes A Reality!
This award winning rechargeable time piece was initially designed by Gusztav Szikszai two years ago, sparking a lot of interest, with many people in various forums asking how they could get hold of one.
Since that time Gusztav and his team fine-tuned the design and technology so that they could deliver the product to market. Funding the project via indiegogo, they received $388,278 USD, exceeding their hoped for goal of $287,500. This means you can actually pre-order one now.
Pre-ordered rings cost $235 each and will be received, via free shipping, by July 2014. After which time the retail price will be $250 per ring + shipping.
The product idea started with a challenge 2 years ago at CGSociety.org named Moving Innovation. The idea was to create a product that cannot exist today, but could exist 10 years in the future. Gusztav wanted to create something innovative, good to look at and actually useful.
He says "I never wore a watch on my wrist because I don't like the feeling, but I like watches in general, so I used that opportunity to let my mind come up with something that I could wear, the Ring Clock."
The hours, minutes and seconds are on the same outer ring. The inner ring is the one that is in contact with your finger. The outer ring rotation activates the LED's and you can see the time around the ring. Sometimes you see the hours and minutes close to each other (e.g. 13:30) and sometimes you will have to rotate more, because the hour and minute are far away from each other (e.g. 13:55).
• The Materials: Stainless steel is used for jewellery and watches with 316L being the type commonly used for such applications. It is allergy free and will not oxidise or turn black.
• LED Lights: An LED lamp is a solid-state lamp that uses light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as the source of light. LED lamps offer long service life and high energy efficiency.
• Wireless charging: Qi is an interface standard developed by the Wireless Power Consortium for inductive electrical power transfer over distances of up to 4 cm.
• Rotate 360°: Whenever you need to know the time just spin the ring and you will see the accurate time.
• Water-resistant: Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. NOT suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkelling, water related work and fishing. (WR/30M)
• Energy saving: Automatic turn off after 1 minute. Their next task is to allow the rotation kinetic energy to give the power to the LED lights meaning that the next version of Ring Clock can be fully environmentally friendly.
Width: 14 mm (0.551 in)
Thickness:3-3.5 mm (0.118-0.134 in)
Size (inside diameter): 15,7-23,8mm (0.618-0.938 in)
Pre-order your ring clock here
The images, text and information by laura sweet on this site are licensed and protected under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. If you reproduce or re-purpose, be sure to credit this blog and link back to the post. Thanks.