21 year old Casey Lin is working on her Bachelor of Design Innovation at the Victoria University of Wellington. With a Bachelor of Architectural Studies already under her belt, the New Zealand based Chinese designer is primarily focused on product design, with a special interest in furniture, jewellery, lighting and household electronics. One of her most recent projects is the Timbre Speaker, an unusual design I wanted to share with you.
Timbre Speaker trims the essence of a speaker down to the very bare minimum, allowing the inherent qualities of the materials to become the centerpiece of the design. All superfluous detail is stripped away, leaving only the necessary audio and power ports at the rear, and combined power and volume dial.
Wood and glass were selected for their favourable acoustic qualities which enhances the audio experience of the user. The Black American Walnut wood adds a warmth to the tone, while the addition of the glass vessels bring a more reverberant characteristic to the music.
Surface transducers are mounted on the interior of the wooden box, vibrating the surface and turning the box into a speaker. The glass vessels act as physical equalizers, where the vibrations transfer through the wood into the glass and changes the timbre of the sound. The wooden box can act as a standalone speaker, or alternatively, vessels of other material, size or shape can be placed on the speaker to change the sound according to the users taste.
Timbre Speaker has an elegant, yet playful feel to it, users are encouraged to experiment with different objects and placements to find the timbre they enjoy the most.
above: Designer Casey Lin
all images, video and description courtesy of Casey Lin.
Classic foosball has been brought into the future with New Potato Tech's Classic Match Foosball for iPad accessory. Powered by the iPad, iPad 2 or iPad 3rd generation, you can work your pull, snake, bank and bread and butter shots, fake out your opponent and deliver the ball into the goal with a resounding "thunk", all on a table top foosball dock for your iPad. Just like real tournament tables, Classic Match Foosball brings the complete foosball experience to your iPad.
Complete with eight functional 2-axis control bars and real scoring markers at each end, this app enabled accessory immerses you in game play as good as a tournament grade table, allowing the most expert player to show off their well-oiled skills.
Gameplay features all the elements you can think of in a complete simulation, but unlike simple software-only foosball emulation apps, this accessory brings the real deal to your iPad with advanced peripheral-to-game dynamics for an incredible experience.
Just plug in your iPad, fire up the free Classic Match Foosball app, and start playing. All 8 of the 2-axis control bars will move your virtual players around the table, so up to four people can join in! And this ingenious dock even comes with little scoring markers at both ends.
• Play classic foosball (table football) on your iPad
• 8 working 2-axis control bars with tactile elastomer handles
• Real scoring markers at each end of the table
• Removable legs for easy portability or storage
• 3D instant replay of every goal to recap the action
• Includes multiple Playfields and alternative foosman and layouts
• One, two, three, or four person play
• USB connector to charge and sync iPad while docked
• Classic Match Foosball application downloaded (FREE) from the iTunes App Store
• Powered by Apple 30 Pin Dock Connector
• Dazzlingly real foosball experience
• Classic foosball play fields and layouts
• Realistic game and crowd sounds
• Tournament Foosball rules
• Multiple layouts and play fields
• Customise your table and team colors and sponsors
• Unparalleled play and feel for iPad
• Realistic foosball game table for your iPad
• Foos buttons on both sides to launch the ball into real play
• iPad, iPad 2nd Gen, iPad 3rd Gen running iOS 5.0 (or higher)
$99 USD, Buy Classic Match Foosball for the iPad here
Diploo Studio Design of Poland has created this cute tabletop glazed ceramic figure with a built-in USB dock. Made of white ceramic clay and glazed in white, Boodha will only supply positive energy to you iPhone or iPod. He looks a little like the Stay Puft Marshmallow from the side and a Lion wearing headphones from the front, but his belly is all Buddha.
Dimensions: 20cm x 20cm x 20cm
Material: glazed ceramics, usb dock
Tehnique: sculpture, design
Designer: Diploo Studio
Origin country: Poland
Shipping to: Europe, North America, South America, Asia, Africa, Australia
Additional info: USB dock included.
price: 130.00 €, Buy it here
This limited edition 3.5 foot tall, 30+ pounds, $21,000 Lalique version of Jarre technologies AeroSystem One sound system accommodates all Apple iPod and iPhone models and features two directional speakers and a 60-watt subwoofer.
A marriage of innovation and craftsmanship, born from a meeting between Silvio Denz, CEO of the prestigious house of Lalique, and Jean Michel Jarre, the genius of electronic music. Two worlds, which on the surface seem to be completely opposite of each other, have come together in their quest for excellence. To further their pursuit for innovation, these two men have combined their values and talents. Together, they have created an object that combines their expertise.
Based on the 2010 Aerosystem One by Jarre Technologies, this special limited version (999 will be made) incorporates Lalique's Masque de Femme, an iconic motif of this prestigious crystal house into the column. The Art-Deco style mask reveals the face of a mysterious woman, with subtle features, surrounded by aquatic wildlife. Like a fingerprint, the face seems perfectly captured in the crystal. To create this piece of work, 13 master glass-blowers blow, cut and polish crystal with their expert hands into a design that is so emblematic of Lalique.
AeroSystem One is the result of four years research and development by Jean Michel Jarre and his team of sound engineers. Conceptualised in France, this powerful sound-system can accept all digital formats, from MP3, AAC, WMA, etc. AeroSystem One is compatible with all iPod and iPhone models and comes with an integrated USB 2.0 port, as well as a mini-jack port offering the possibility to connect the system to a laptop, a CD / DVD player, smartphones, hard-disk files, as well as a vinyl turn-table. AeroSystem One incorporates an electronic signal circuit, tailor-made to reproduce both the bass line and high notes with optimal precision.
The artisans from Lalique have managed to enhance and illuminate the speaker created by Jean Michel Jarre and to raise it to the rank of a true piece of contemporary art.
• Compatible with all iPod generations: iPod Touch®, iPod Nano®, iPod Classic®
• Compatible with all iPhone generations: iPhone®, iPhone 3G(S)®, iPhone 4®
• Multiple input sources with mini-jack 3.5 mm connector:
• MP3 players
• CD/DVD players
• Vinyl turntable
• 1 USB host
• 240° Sound dispersion with built in 3D enhancement filters
• 2 x 30w full spectrum high definition tweeters
• 1 x 60w subwoofer
• Power input voltage 110 or 220 depending on your country of residence
• Dimensions: 26 x 26 x 108.5 cm
Apple® and iPod® are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
If Old MacDonald had an iPod, he'd probably listen to it on the iPig or the new iPanda docking stations. Cute, but powerful, these spherical docking stations pump out 25 watts of power, are compatible with various mp3 and mp4 players, music devices, gaming consoles and all iPods. They have wireless remotes and are made of green grade "A" eco friendly materials.
Made by Speakal, the iPig received great acclaim and reviews at the 2007 at the consumer electronics show and now, iPanda has joined his swine friend.
The Features of both the iPig and iPanda:
• Highly Compatible: The iPig is compatible with most iPod’s, MP3, MP4, Portable Game consoles (PSP, Nintendo DS), Gaming Consoles (PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox360), Portable and non portable CD and DVD players, Televisions, Personal Computers (Desktop and Laptops), Mobile Phones with Audio playing capabilities.
• Humanized Touch Volume Control:
Gently touch the right ear of the iPig to raise the volume and touch the Left one to lower the volume. This patented technology will only react to the human touch and will not be affected by temprature or humidity.
• High Quality Sound:
The iPig has a total of 5 speakers including a 4 in. subwoofer, with a total output of over 25 Watts of Raw, Undistorted, Clear Music. It also has a super Hi-Fi Amplifier, an interior dynamic airflow optimizer, and an interior dynamic cooling exchange system with high sound stabilization to produce a clear and powerful sound.
• iPOD Docking Station: Compatible with most of iPods. Dock your iPod, charge it and listen to your music without interruption.
• RF Remote Control:
One remote control to browse through the different iPOD features and to control the speakers’ Volume, treble and bass.
• Smiley Lit Mouth:
The mouth tells you right away by its light if the iPig is on or off. It also tells you whenever it receives a command from the remote control.
• Adjustable Bass Control:
Control the level of Base output from the knob control in the back of the iPig
• Bass Reflex Technology: Don’t just listen to the music but FEEL it with the Bass Reflex Technology Feel the amplification and output
• 360 Degrees Sound Spreading: The shape and the placement of the speaker of the iPig allows a 360 degree sound spreading, you will get the same quality of sound from each corner of the room
• Standard Mini Jack: A 3.5 mm stereo audio-in connection to connect with other audio and gaming devices
• GREEN and RoHS Compliant: The iPig is made of the top grade and environment friendly manufacturing materials. It has no hazardous materials.
• Colors: Professional formula of High-Gloss fashionable and shiny three colors: White, Yellow and Pink
• Multi Cradles: Fit your iPod with the correct cradle.
• Small Footprint: Complement your room. The iPig blends in as a decorative item that will sneak up on you with its wonderful sound quality
• Warranty: 1 year manufacture warranty. Warranty terms and conditions apply.
You can buy the iPig or the iPanda here for $129.99 and includes a 90 full days manufacturer’s warranty.
About Speakal Company.
Speakal Company specializes in high performance audio solutions. As the sole distributor of Amethyst products in North America, Speakal will continue to provide innovative audio products for years to come. Founded in 2006, Speakal Company is a privately held company based in Culver City, CA. For more information, please visit www.speakal.com.