Bugatti has a little catching up to do - 0.63 mph. to be exact.
above: previous record holder for the world's fastest production car, the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
Grabbing the title away from Bugatti for the fastest production car in the world, the Hennessey Venom GT set a new world speed record for 2-seat sports cars by reaching a top speed of 270.49 mph (435.31 km/h), beating the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport's previous record of 269.86 mph.
On February 14, 2014, the test was performed at the Kennedy Space Center on the 3.2-mile Space Shuttle landing runway:
Brian Smith, Director of Miller Motorsports Park, drove the Venom GT to its record speed:
A representative from Racelogic, world-renowned maker of VBox GPS data-acquisition systems, was on hand to independently verify and document the Venom GT's highest recorded speed.
The Venom GT was powered with Pennzoil Platinum® with PurePlus™ Technology, a first of its kind synthetic motor oil made from natural gas.
2013 Hennessey Venom GT Specifications:
• Michelin Pilot Sport Cup ZP Tires
• Bare Carbon Fiber Finish
• Right-Hand Drive
• Stefano Ricci Bespoke Interior
• Stereo System Designed by Steven Tyler of Aerosmith
Note: The Hennessey Venom GT design is based on the Lotus Elise / Exige. The Venom GT is created from a base Lotus Elise / Exige and utilizes components including but not limited to the roof, doors, side glass, windscreen, dash, cockpit, floorpan, HVAC system, wiper and headlights. Hennessey Performance and the Venom GT are not associated with Lotus Cars.
For more information about the Venom GT or to place an order, please contact John Hennessey by telephone at 1.979.885.1300 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jalopnik has a nice little history of the world's fastest cars here.
Move over Bentley. Aston Martin be damned. Meet Lyonheart K, a new, thoroughly British luxury sports car. A modern interpretation of the classic Jaguar e-Type designed by Robert Palm in collaboration with car designer Bo Zolland, every single part of the Lyonheart K is developed, designed, and hand-built in England.
Over the years, the British car industry has seen many legendary names disappear or fall into the hands of foreign groups. Now, the new truly British car manufacturer, LYONHEART CARS LTD. has launched the Lyonheart K.
Robert Palm, CEO of Classic Factory, said: “We want to make the ‘Made In England’ label into a truthful concept, not just a statement. Every part of the Lyonheart K is developed, engineered and hand-built in England. The design clues of the Lyonheart K reflect Britishness at its best: cool, elegant, refined, understated yet powerful and dynamic.”
Exterior detail images:
Body and exterior:
- Carbon fibre body panels and closures.
- Carbon fibre front-hinged clamshell bonnet.
- Carbon fibre doors with aluminium side impact beams.
- Carbon fibre boot lid housing automatically deployable rear spoiler and fully concealed antennae systems.
- Front wing brake vents.
- Mirror-finish paintwork applied and polished by hand.
- Large choice of paint colours.
- Black matrix grille with chromed metal bar and 'L-Shield' emblem.
- Polished stainless steel brightware to glass surrounds.
- Chromed metal door handles, bumpers and side finishers.
- Polished stainless steel 'Lyonheart K' tread plates.
- Dual round polished stainless steel central exhaust tailpipes.
- Projector headlamps with light-sensing auto operation, daytime running LED signature and washers.
- LED rear light clusters and discreet high-level stop lamp atop car roof.
- Polished stainless steel, electronically adjustable and heated door mirrors.
- Keyless entry system with chromed metal door handles and red glass engine start button on gear lever.
- Soft close power latching to driver's and passenger doors.
- Park distance control to front and rear with audible signal and graphics.
- Dual petrol fillers with polished stainless steel caps.
- Carefully selected quality leather to all trimmed surfaces including seating, fascia, console, door panels, door pillars, headlining, sun visors, all stowage compartments and glove box.
- Large choice of colours in single tone or duo-tone leather and stitching colour combinations from elegant to sporty moods.
- Colour-matched wool carpet.
- Colour-matched leather bound wool carpet overmats with polished stainless steel fixings.
- Colour-matched seatbelts with chromed metal buckles.
- Veneer to fascia, continuous wooden waistline from fascia to doors, behind the seats and back.
- Large choice of veneer species available.
- High finish interior fittings in brushed aluminium or chromed metal.
- Engine-turned aluminium centre console.
- Polished aluminium switchgear and 'L-Shield'-shaped gear lever arrangement.
- Driver's instrument panel featuring chromed metal surrounded dials for vehicle and engine speed.
- Instruments are highlighted with Jade green traditional illumination.
- Minor gauges panel in centre console fascia with fuel gauge, coolant temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge and battery charge gauge, with central analogue clock.
- Passenger-side map lamp.
- Boot trimmed in leather and carpeted to match interior cabin with polished stainless steel sill plate.
- All aluminium chassis with carbon fibre substructures.
- Double wishbone front suspension with electronic dampers.
- Multilink rear suspension with electronic dampers.
- Unique 20" wire wheels, highest grade of stainless steel spokes, Permatrue® technology assuring long lasting, durable and adjustment-free use. Optional: 20" alloy wheels.
- Wheel dimensions: front 20"x8"with 255x35xR20 tyres, rear 20"x9.5" with 285x30xR20 tyres.
- Speed-sensitive power steering.
- Adaptive Dynamics: analyses speed, steering and body movements 500 times a second.
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC): comes into play as soon as it detects the wheels slipping.
- Four-channel ABS, supplemented by Emergency Brake Assist.
- High Performance Braking System, with 380mm front discs and aluminium calipers.
- Active Differential: provides superior asphalt and loose surface traction.
- Electronic Parking Brake with drive-away assist and hill hold feature.
- Dual-stage driver's and passenger air bags with passenger air bag deactivation facility.
- Side airbags fitted to seats.
- 3-point seatbelts to with pyrotechnic pre-tensioners and force limiters.
- Tyre pressure monitoring system with provision for speed related warning.
- Vehicle Immobiliser & Interior volumetric alarm system.
- 7" high-resolution colour touch-screen: controls most major functions and keeps the number of conventional switches to a minimum. A masterpiece of clarity and intuitive functionality, used to operate the in-car audio system, the Bluetooth® telephone system, satellite navigation and the climate control. Automatically concealed under top dash panel when not in use.
- Portable Audio Interface: provides full-function control of an iPod or other MP3 player via the Touch-screen. USB storage devices can also be accessed via the Touch-screen and other players can be connected to the car through the standard 3.5mm stereo auxiliary input port.
- Audio system: Bowers & Wilkins™ 525W system with Dolby® Pro-Logic II Surround Sound for extraordinary sound quality throughout the cabin. Exceptionally clear reproduction, enhanced by Kevlar® cones in the larger speakers and aluminium domes on the tweeters.
- Satellite navigation system: controlled through the touch-screen, it will store details of up to 20 destinations and can provide congestion alerts, with possible alternative routes. When fuel is running low, it also shows details of the closest filling stations.
- Seats with 16-way electrical adjustment, including lumbar support, memory function, heated and cooled.
- Dual zone climate control system: individual cabin temperature control for both driver and passenger. Fully automatic, with auto-recirculation, humidity control and automatic window demisting.
- Traditional, polished stainless steel bullseye air vents.
- Three-spoke, thin wooden ring with brushed aluminium spokes, multi-function steering wheel with electric adjustment for tilt and reach with memory function.
- Centre armrest with leather trimmed storage and multimedia connectivity and 12V power socket.
- Cruise control.
- Brushed aluminium interior rear view mirror with auto-dimming function.
- Remote-controlled garage door opener integrated in roof console.
- Rain sensing windscreen wipers.
- Power windows with one-touch operation and anti-trap protection.
- Twin cup holders concealed in centre console.
- Leather trimmed glove box with illumination and 12 V power socket.
- Leather-bound owner's handbook housed in dedicated stowage under passenger seat.
- Document stowage pockets to seatbacks.
ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION
Engine 5000cc Supercharged V8, 32 valves, Variable Inlet Camshaft Phasing
Max. Power 550PS / 405kW @ 6000-6500rpm
Max.Torque 680Nm / 502lb-ft @ 2500-5500rpm
Compression Ratio 9.5:1
Emission Level EU 5 / LEV II
Fuel Transmission EU 95 to 98 RON
ZF 6HP28 6-speed automatic
Max. Speed 300km/h / 186mph (limited)
Acceleration 0 - 100km/h 3.9 seconds*
*Subject to Type Approval 0 - 60mph 3.7 seconds
EU DRIVE CYCLE
Urban 15.2mpg* 18.4 litres/100km*
Extra-Urban 35.0mpg* 8.2 litres/100km*
Combined 24.0mpg* 11.9 litres/100km*
CO2 emissions (combined)
*Subject to Type Approval 292g/km*
WEIGHT AND DIMENSIONS
Kerb Weight 1575kg*
Gross Weight 1990kg*
Fuel tank capacity 80L
Overall Length 4749mm
Width without mirrors 1893mm
*Subject to Type Approval 2752mm
Non contractual information. Subject to change without notice.
Price for the 2013 LYONHEART K is €495,000* ($643,518.31 USD) (Local taxes not included)
Delivery included in the EU and Switzerland.
Delivery in other countries upon quotation.
Lyonheart is not currently available in the USA. Boo hoo!!
*Based on March 2012 exchange rate, subject to change accordingly.
all images and information courtesy of Lyonheart Cars, Ltd.
Pre-order this beauty here
UPDATED: Volvo Concept You Revealed. Scandinavian Luxury with Smart Pad Technology in a Sleek Sedan.
Concept You from Volvo Cars: Luxurious Scandinavian design with intuitive smart pad technology
Last week Volvo teased the public with this video:
Volvo now takes the next bold step in the evolution of the company’s next luxury car. The Concept You, revealed today at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, blends contemporary Scandinavian design and exquisite craftsmanship, with intuitive smart pad technology.
Concept You picks up where the Concept Universe, revealed at Auto Shanghai earlier this year, left off. With a full interior, Concept You gives the global car buying public an exciting glimpse of the craftsmanship and innovative technology that will be the hallmark of future Volvos.
Smart pad technology create an uncluttered interior
The Concept You explores new territories in Volvo’s search for the ultimate intuitive car. A number of touch screens are used to replace buttons and controls in order to make the driver totally connected, and in control. The technology also helps to create a refreshingly uncluttered interior.
The control centre in Concept You consists of four main areas; a digital Driver Information Monitor, a head-up display on the windscreen, a touch screen on the upper part of the centre console and a touch screen between the two individual rear seats. The wood/leather steering wheel has aluminium and glass paddles with integrated touch screens.
The touch screen in the upper part of the centre console remains in sleeping mode until the driver looks at it. A hidden infrared camera registers the eye movements and information is displayed on the screen. Another sensor registers hand movements and triggers the infotainment system’s control mode. The possibilities are different depending on if the screen is approached by the driver or by the front seat passenger. “Certain functions, such as surfing the web, are only accessible from the passenger side while the car is rolling. The technology knows who is the present operator and adapts itself automatically,” says Peter Horbury, Vice President Design at Volvo Car Corporation.
First-class craftsmanship and hand tufted wool carpets from Kasthall:
With a striking interior, Concept You offers luxury customers to experience true craftsmanship and Scandinavian design at its best.
The wooden floor, that echoes Scandinavian homes, is covered with a specially designed, hand tufted carpet from the world-famous Swedish brand Kasthall. Just like the rest of the interior it fades from dark in the front to light in the rear. The front texture has a sporty firmness, while the rear part of the carpet is luxuriously soft.
The four individual seats, blend chrome-free leather from Bridge of Wear with Dinamica ecological suede. The interior also integrates the luxury qualities of a tailor made suit into the car.
The back of the front seats and the door panels feature exclusive Italian fabric and designs from the Swedish fashion house Oscar Jacobson. “The interior is full of classic forms, materials and textures, used with a twist to create a special contemporary luxury experience. It is exceptionally refined, yet with all the simplistic assets that makes Volvo champions of the uncomplicated,” explains Peter Horbury.
Inspiration from Georg Jensen
The Concept You is Volvo’s largest and most luxurious sedan ever. Its fast and sculptural silhouette is emphasised by the liquid metal paint, and the 21-inch polished aluminium wheels with tyres from Pirelli. Up front, the grille – which has a more classic appearance than the Concept Universe – features details with the same, beautifully polished craftsmanship.
“The design of the wheels, the grille and details in the innovative headlamps has been inspired by the exquisite works of the world-famous Danish design house Georg Jensen. Their precious items capture the essence of Scandinavian design. Uncluttered, organic surfaces and superb craftsmanship that radiate timeless luxury. This design should feel handcrafted and durable enough to stand the test of time,” says Peter Horbury.
images and info courtesy of Volvo New updated photos courtesy of Pocket-Lint.
You can see a live unveiling of the car today at the Frankfurt Auto Show on Volvo's facebook page here.